NEED TO KNOW
The son of retired NFL star Lem Barney confirmed his dad is “alive” after the Pro Football Hall of Fame sent an email reporting he had died.
The former Detroit Lions cornerback’s son, Lem Jr., told Detroit Free Press sportswriter Dave Birkett that his 80-year-old father is not dead.
On Saturday, Nov. 29, Birkett shared that conversation on his X account, explaining that Lem Jr. saw his father on Thanksgiving and “started getting messages asking about his dad last night.”
“He said he talked to Lem’s nurse today, had her send a selfie, heard his voice in the background,” Birkett continued.
The sportswriter added that Lem Jr. said, “He’s good … he is alive.”
Focus on Sport/Getty
In a statement to PEOPLE, the Pro Football Hall of Fame (PFHOF) apologized for the false report and explained how the error came to be.
“Based on conflicting information regarding the reported passing of Lem Barney, the Pro Football Hall of Fame is rescinding the email sent earlier today,” the organization’s statement read. “The Hall has not been able to confirm such news independently. Please accept our apology.”
According to NFL.com, which had posted an obituary for the retired NFL star after the PFHOF’s initial announcement, the PFHOF had cited “media sources associated with the Detroit Lions.”
Lem Sr. played in the NFL from 1967 to 1977 for the Lions.
Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE’s free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.
Focus on Sport/Getty
In 1992, the former Lions star was inducted into the PFHOF.
His son also told Birkett that he’s dealt with death rumors in the past.
In another X post, Birkett wrote, “Lem Jr. said this is the second time in a few months he’s had to address false rumors about his dad’s passing. Said it happened after the flood in Texas earlier this year.”
Birkett added that Lem Jr. said, “It’s like the boy who cried wolf s— now.”
